Brekkeparken and Søndre Brekke Estate enjoys an open setting overlooking the centre of Skien, the Skienselva river, and the canal winding its way inland towards the more mountainous parts of Telemark.
The park is an open-air museum containing heritage buildings from across Telemark. The oldest of the 14 preserved farm buildings is an open-hearth cottage dating back to the 14th century.
The manor house at Søndre Brekke is truly magnificent! The building has been restored to the Empire style, to resemble how it must have looked when Niels Aall and his family lived at Brekke in the early 19th century. Aall was the minister of trade, and an exhibition describes the role he played in the negotiations to draw up the Norwegian constitution at Eidsvoll in 1814.
The Grey Lady
The manor house is said to be home to the legendary “Grey Lady”, a ghost that many people claim to have seen over the years, and a constant source of fascination to visitors.
There are conflicting accounts as to the identity of this lady who still wanders the corridors at Brekke, but all versions of the story are connected to Prince Christian Frederik of Denmark and Norway, who visited the estate as Governor General of Norway in 1813.
The Tulip Park
The fine park surrounding the manor house is inspired by the English landscaping style. Since the museum’s opening in 1909, Brekkeparken has been a park for all the citizens of Skien, open to the public throughout the summer months. Brekkeparken is renowned for its magnificent floral displays. 27,000 tulips will blossom this summer.
Experiences of extravagance and modern theme exhibitions lie side by side in this museum.
14 farm buildings have been moved to this park and complete this open air museum. Brekkeparken and the romantic garden, which blooms throughout the season, offer you experiences and recreation. The extensive park has surrounded Southern Brekke mansion since 1820.
Have a nice meal – on Skien’s ”roof” – overviewing the Telemark canal
The museum café and restaurant, Brekkeparken kafe, has a magnificent view from Skien’s “roof.” You can see the centre of the town and the two waterways that made Skien a city. The museum restaurant was built in 1928 in the national romantic style.